Community Links

local services what we offer


Do you need advice on housing or debt?
Or are you looking for legal advice on employment law, private housing and consumer issues?

We offer free advice and support through an 'open door' advice service, FREELaw evening legal sessions, and tribunal representation.
Full details of all our sessions are below. All our advice is delivered by a team of trained, specialist advisors.
We welcome support from anyone who would like to  volunteer in our advice team.

Open Door Service
Free advice on Debt and Housing. We are no longer able to offer welfare benefits specialist advice.

First come first served at: 

105 Barking Road, Canning Town: Monday to Thursday mornings. Our advice services opens at 9.00 and clients are seen on a ‘first come first served basis’ we will have to ask clients to come back another day once our sessions are full.

Our Open Door service is a drop-in advice service, with no appointments necessary. If necessary, we ask you to bring an interpreter with you for your first visit. For your second visit we can arrange an interpreter.
Following an initial meeting, if necessary more complex cases will be followed-up in an appointment with a specialist adviser.

Evening Legal Advice Sessions - Consumer, private housing and employment law
Mondays at 6:30pm, Stratford Advice Arcade
Wednesdays at 6:30pm, 105 Barking Road, Canning Town.
For either session registration starts at 5 o'clock. Please note that we work on a 'first come, first served' basis.

We work with a corporate law firm to offer a free drop-in evening law surgery twice per week. The team offer legal advice on some areas of consumer, private housing and employment law, but please consult this document before coming, to check your enquiry is covered. No appointments are necessary but as we rely on volunteers, sometimes you may not be seen and have to return on another day.

Form filling imageForm Filling Services
Government forms can be long and confusing for anyone, but especially so if you have problems reading and writing, or if English is a second language. If you need assistance with filling out welfare benefit, tax credit and local authority housing forms, please come along to our drop in Form Filling Session, held on Tuesday mornings from 9.00am at 105 Barking Road. Clients are seen on a first come first served basis.

If you need help with other forms, such as Taxi Card Forms or Prescription Cost Forms, help may be available at our Wednesday evening legal advice sessions (times above).

Tribunal Representation

We offer advice and assistance in appealing against Department of Work and Pension and Local Authority decisions and in many cases can offer representation at appeal hearings.
Please speak to your advisor to find out more.

Immigration Law
We can help you with your immigration issues, please call 0207473 2270 to make an appointment

Water and Fuel Debt Advice

We can help you with advice on water and fuel debt and money management advice.
Contact us for more information.

Are you worried about having enough money to pay for your utilitiies and fuel bills?

  • Do you have a water, gas or electricity debt?
  • Do you need your benefits checked to make sure you are getting everything that you’re entitled to?
  • Do you need advice on saving money on your water, gas or electricity bills?

Scottish Power Energy People Trust

Contact our Fuel and Utilities Debt project on 0207 473 9640
or email .


Where else can I get advice in Newham?

Aanchal (for Asian women), 020 82213800
Age UK, 020 8503 4800
CORECOG (Community of Congolese Refugees in Great Britain), 07939 121845
Newham Citizens Advice Bureau, 020 7540 4941
Newham Action Against Domestic Violence, 020 7473 3047
Newham United Tamil Association, 020 8472 6495
Racial Equality In Newham, 020 7473 5349
Refugee And Migrants Project, 020 8221 9200
Roma Support Group, 020 7511 0800
Shelter, 0844 5152216

Toneybee Hall, 020 7392 2953
Stratford Arcade, 020 8221 1995