Community Links

get involved support our work

Gift Aid

We get more … at no extra cost to you!

If you are a UK taxpayer, the government Gift Aid scheme allows us to reclaim tax on all donations you have made to us since 6th April 2000, and on any gifts you make to us in the future.  This means that Community Links gets an extra 28p from the Inland Revenue for every pound you give, helping your donation go further.

£100 could be turned into £128; imagine what a difference that could make! 

Who can make a donation using Gift Aid?

Gift Aid can be reclaimed on gifts of money by individuals who pay UK Tax. The amount they pay in tax must be equal to or greater than the tax that will be claimed by Community Links on their donation. Only UK tax counts, so if you only pay tax outside the UK you won’t be able to use Gift Aid.   You don't necessarily have to be working to be paying tax. Apart from tax on income from a job or self-employment, the tax you've paid could include:

  • tax deducted at source from savings interest
  • tax on State Pension and/or other pensions
  • tax on investment or rental income
  • Capital Gains Tax on gains

If you pay tax at a higher rate, you can reclaim tax relief on your gross donation at 20% (i.e. the difference between the higher rate of tax at 40% and the basic rate at 20%).  However, Gift Aid cannot be claimed on donations from businesses.


I am collecting sponsorship for an event or challenge – how can my sponsors Gift Aid their donation?

For each fundraising event we will provide you with sponsorship forms which will ask your sponsors to Gift Aid their donation. In order for us to reclaim Gift Aid we need to make sure that each sponsor completes the following information:

  • Full name
  • Home address (including postcode)
  • Amount of gift and date it was given
  • They must also tick the GIft Aid box - this will confirm that the donor is a UK Tax Payer and is elible for Gift Aid.

If you are collecting sponsorship money online (via platforms such as Just Giving or Virgin Money Giving), your donors will be given the option to Gift Aid their donations when they sponsor you.

I want to make a personal donation – how can I Gift Aid it?

Simply download the Gift Aid form, complete it, and send it to us with your donation. Alternatively please contact Anila to send you a Gift Aid form in the post.  You only need to complete a Gift Aid form once, and we can use it for every gift you make. We can also back date claims to April 2000.

Note: For legal reasons you must not fill in gift aid donation details on behalf of anyone else. This form needs to be completed by the person named and must be handwritten and not typed.


When can’t Gift Aid be claimed?

Gift Aid can only be claimed on donations where we have the donors details – so it cannot be claimed on money donated from collections. Gift Aid can only be claimed against gifts, which means that we can’t use Gift Aid on any activity where people have been charged an entry fee or have entered a competition such as a raffle.


I’ve still got questions

If you still have questions about Gift Aid and how it applies to you can you find further information online on the HMRC website  or or you can contact your local Tax Office for more information.